W ell, I'm nearly finished with Fyodor Dostoevsky's brilliant book entitled: The Brothers Karamazov . I highly recommend it to anyone interested in classic literature. Dostoevsky had the proclivity to inundate his novels with copious amounts of religious fervor (which reflects the years in which it was written: circa 1878-1880 C.E.); however, that does nothing to diminish the overall experience. Dostoevsky deserves my utmost respect, and now takes his place alongside such iconic figures as: Albert Einstein; Leonardo da Vinci; Ludwig van Beethoven; James Joyce; George Orwell, and Edgar Allan Poe (as well as many others). My next selection will either be Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince , or David Hume's A Treatise of Human Nature . I hope to enjoy them as immensely as I did The Brothers Karamazov !!
A s a young child, I remember watching Robin Williams on Happy Days and Mork and Mindy , and thinking that he was simply the best comedic mind around. He was an amazing actor, and although I haven't watched every movie that he's been in, the ones that I have watched are among my all-time favorites. There will never be another quite like Robin Williams.
E ducating the public is essential to the progression of scientific literacy. We should take the initiative, both as professionals and dilettantes, to actively engage the public at large, and to present, as accurately as possible, the ideas that are currently relevant in the scientific community. We must also work to dispel any misconceptions that many individuals may have toward science. Not only should we disseminate solid, evidence-based scientific ideas, if we do manage to pique their collective interest, it's also imperative that we make a concerted effort to keep them in the loop. I know that this may seem like a Sisyphean task, but for what it's worth, I've added my two cents.
Comments